- 6 Granny Smith Apples (or other tart variety – if you don’t have tart apples, add a bit of lemon juice.)
- 2 Golden Delicious Apples (or other sweet variety or pears)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 heaping tsp allspice
- 1/4 scant tsp caraway seed
- 2 Tbsp fat (ghee, butter, or coconut oil)
- 1 cup chopped crispy almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fat (ghee, butter, or coconut oil)
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Peel and slice all the apples and place in a large bowl. We love our apple corer peeler slicer for this!
- Grind the spices and sprinkle them over the apples. We use a dedicated coffee grinder for grinding spices.
- Mix up the apples so that all of the slices have a light dusting of the spice mixture. Put them into a 2 quart baking dish. It should fit all the apples so that they are heaping up over the top. Cut up your fat into 6 pieces, and put dabs of it on top. Cover with foil and bake for about 40 minutes.
- When the apples are soft and the liquid is bubbling, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly
- Chop up your crispy almonds finely and put them in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the honey over them, sprinkle the spices over them, and add the fat. Mix it all up thoroughly.
- Spread the coated nuts in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Toast them in the oven for about 5 minutes. You’ll want to check frequently to make sure they don’t get scorched. (The toasted nuts are a bit harder to digest so if you are on the GAPS Intro you may want to skip them.)
- Remove from oven, dish up the apples and place the nut mixture on top. Delicious!