This is also what I make when I forget to pull the ground beef out of the freezer to defrost soon enough! The kids wish I would make it every day, though. It’s super easy.
- 2 lbs Ground beef (20% fat is good)
- 1 small onion
- Real salt
- Chili powder or seasoning of your choice
- Avocado (or homemade guacamole)
- Homemade salsa (optional – Full GAPS diet, not stage 5)
- Homemade yogurt or dairy kefir (optional)
- Dice the onion
- Mix the ground beef with the salt and seasonings (if your beef isn’t defrosted enough that’s ok – you can just start cooking it, scraping off the cooked part into the pan and seasoning as you go).
- Put the onions and ground beef in a pan over medium-high heat, and stir periodically so that it gets uniformly browned and the onions are translucent. You may need to turn the heat down a bit – don’t let it smoke!
- Wash and dry your lettuce, then shred it. If you are new to lettuce on the GAPS diet, only use the soft parts of the leaves, not the crunchy parts.
- Mash up your avocado in a bowl. You may like to add a bit of garlic, salt, and lime.
- Now pile it up! My kids like to make a taco salad mountain, and top it with salsa and yogurt!
This post is part of Full Plate Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Lunchbox Love, Superfood Sunday, Made From Scratch Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.