Minestrone serves 6
1 T ghee
1 medium onion, chopped
1 qt homemade beef stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T dried basil or 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
1 qt crushed tomatoes with juice, canned in glass
salt & pepper to taste
1 lb ground beef, 10% fat (see note)
2 c green beans, frozen or home canned
2 c cooked lima or navy beans
- Melt ghee in 8 qt stainless steel pot. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add beef stock, garlic, basil, celery, carrots, and tomatoes. Bring to boil over High heat. Season to taste.
- Shape ground beef into small 1 in/2.5 cm balls and drop into boiling soup. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the end of cooking time, add green beans and heat through.
- Serve over the cooked beans.
*NOTE: I like to use leaner ground beef for meatballs because the fat can make the soup “slimy” for our picky friends. If you only have 20%, I recommend browning it in a pan before adding it to the soup to minimize the chances of rejection.