Sometimes, I make meat muffins instead of meatloaf just to mix things up a little. I’m wild like that. Plus, it’s fun to say “meat muffins.”
Note: I let my Cuisinart food processor do most of the chopping for me. If you don’t have one, chop all the vegetables finely instead of coarsely. If you don’t make the ketchup ahead you can take one cup of tomato sauce and mix in a couple of tablespoons of honey and some salt.
I adapted this recipe from Nourished Kitchen’s Classic Meatloaf recipe.
Make Ahead Meatloaf
makes 2 meatloaves or 24 meat muffins
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic
1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
5-6 sprigs Italian parsley
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 c lactofermented ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, and mustard. Mix well. (I use my KitchenAid mixer for this).
- Place garlic in food processor. Pulse to mince.
- Place remaining vegetables and parsley in food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add vegetable mixture to meat mixture and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Press meatloaf into two loaf pans or into muffin tins. Top with ketchup.
- Bake 45-60 minutes for loaves, 30-45 minutes for muffins, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Update 7/11/11: I had some spare rabbit organs (2 hearts, 2 livers, 4 kidneys) hanging out in the fridge, so I minced them finely in the food processor and mixed them in in step 2. Nobody noticed. Organ meat subterfuge FTW!
This post is part of Offal & Odd Bits Challenge