GAPS Legal Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Kid2's GAPS Legal Birthday Cake
TinyHands came up with this GAPS legal
cake a while back for Kid2’s birthday. He was turning 11 and wanted to have an ice skating party with a cake that his friends would want to eat! They gobbled it up.
This is a very dense, very chocolaty cake… not one of those light, fluffy ones. TinyHands modified her brownie recipe to make it cake shaped! A little goes a long way.
Chocolate Cake with Ganache Frosting
makes two 8″-9″ layers
- 1 c butter, ghee, or coconut oil (or a mix)
- 1.5 c cocoa powder
- 1.5 c honey
- 12 chicken eggs or 9 very large duck eggs
- 1 t salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c coconut flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Over Medium heat, blend butter, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla in medium saucepan until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat your eggs well, so that they fluff up. I forgot to do this step this time, so my cake turned out denser than last time.
- Combine salt and coconut flour, and beat into eggs.
- Stir 2 cups of the cocoa mixture into the coconut flour mixture. Reserve the remaining cocoa mixture (about 1 cup).
- Pour cake batter into two 8″ or 9″ greased & (coconut) floured round cake pans. I like to use spring-form pans.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake will not rise as much as a typical cake.
- Let the cake cool to the touch before transferring to two plates to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, frost with the leftover cocoa mixture by pouring it over the cake. This time our kids chose marionberry preserves for the middle layer, and we put some apple butter on top before pouring the ganache over that.
Mixing the chocolate into the eggs - I should have beaten my eggs more first
Reserved chocolate ganache
Bottom layer of cake with a marion berry preserves and a bit of the ganache
The kids are excited to eat their cake!
This post is part of Monday Mania
, Fat Tuesday
, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
, Make Your Own Monday